vendredi, août 19, 2005

Endings.

It's been a while since I've posted here. It seems superfluous, and...maybe I just really liked that last post. It seemed appropriate for a long spell of dormancy.
But now I think it's time to post this, as a tribute to the dying summer. I wrote it in the season's anticipation. For the magazine, but mostly to cure Algebra's boredom.

“Wait for Me, Summer” – 4/21/05
Summer caught me unawares.
I looked up from the routine,
And the trees were green again.
And so, oddly enough, was the sky.
Through the sunset, I was only thinking
About how the clouds resembled some
Kind of rotting amaretto fudge
Pink veined, with those white splotches,
The ones that reminded me of the pale,
Fleshy creatures that watched from their jars,
Their shelves
In that dream
The panic-induced hum that was exactly
The feeling of electricity in the air
Before the strike
The wind-tunnel effect drowned the voices,
Ceded victory to the rhythmic bump of
The tires hitting the faults on the highway,
Stretching inexorably onward,
And no, the hissing wouldn’t stop, but
The bottle wouldn’t open
Anything but our palms.

The moon wasn’t enough to illuminate
The clouds, marching home to wherever
The weather lives in its off-season.

And I wanted only to call
“Wait for me, Summer.”